Monday, January 01, 2007

2007: Day 1

365 days ago I walked into my office at The Perm and worked non stop for 10 hours. Days later when asked what I did on the first day of 2006 I replied simply, "Worked." People were aghast. Apparently, there's this old wives's tale that says whatever you do on the first day of the year, you can expect to do for the whole year.

Just to show you how accurate that old wives's tale is, I spent 3.5 months on vacation last year. A result of quitting The Perm too early and starting with The Firm too late. But that's another story.

Got on a plane today to head back to my so called life in HK. That trip was fast, fun and much needed. That trip was good. I got to see most of my friends, and all the relatives that count. I got to stay in Manila for more than 2 nights for a business trip. I got to sleep in my old bed and wear my old loafers and ratty t-shirts. I woke up to birdsong.

Now I'm back in my flat in Central. Tomorrow I go back to work and start the next 365 days in HK. I get a little giddy just thinking about it.

I expect to do a lot of travelling this year for work. God I hope I didn't just jinx that.

No comments: