Monday, January 08, 2007

The Obligatory Birthday Post

I've always thought that it was cool to have January 8 as a birthday. It is exactly two weeks from Christmas, a week from New Year's Day; you get to start a new calendar year with a new personal year. I was born on the same day as Elvis. Really, how much cooler can a birthday be?

I stopped getting presents a long time ago, but I still throw parties. The one on Friday was cool. There was a lot of beer and parma ham. How can someone not have a good time?

At 32 I have a full set of parents, a handsome but incorrigible nephew, dozens of friends who after 4 months still refuse to use my Hong Kong mobile and instead call my Globe phone to sing Happy Birthday (thereby costing me a fortune in roaming bills). I have an apartment that can be photographed for a magazine (and I believe it has). A job that if I stick to can allow me to retire a little earlier than most. How can someone not be grateful?

At 32 I still have about two thirds of my life ahead of me. Imagine the trips I will take, the people I will meet, the meals to digest, the stories to listen to, the jokes to tell. How can someone not be excited about the future?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

You still get gifts from me.

Jona said...

When I meant presents, I was thinking more of bicycles and new shoes from mom and dad.

But having said that, yes, I still get presents from R. And I love that.