Friday, January 12, 2007

Lunch Time

One of the perks I miss most about the Perm was the free lunch we got at work everyday. At around 11:30 every morning of practically every week day, I'd get a call from any one of the Perm's young, brilliant, but hungry before noon associates. The call would invariably go like this:

Associate: Lunch? (there really is no need for Hello or any formal greeting)
Jona: Sure. See you upstairs.

Upstairs was the 8th floor cafeteria, where all the Associates would gather between 11:25 and 1:25 for a lunch buffet that most of the time wasn't so bad. The same people would sit together everyday. The young ones try to avoid the eyes of the older ones. As the years passed in the Perm, I went from the kiddie table to the Senior Ass table. From avoiding eyes, to trying to catch them.

And every Friday we'd have monggo and bangus belly.

Lunch at the Firm is markedly different. Most times I have lunch by myself in my room with a book. Since I am a certified nerd, I actually enjoy this. I get to eat what I want and read in peace. Sometimes the HK associates will offer to have lunch at a dimsum or noodles place. Fun, but I need to make conversation and we need to hurry. Somehow, these noodle houses are always in far flung corners of Central.

So today I'm off to get some lunch. And hopefully to finish the Sedaris holiday book I've been re-reading since Christmas.

No comments: