Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Personalized ring tones

Over lunch yesterday the HK associates were showing off their new Sony Walkman phones. Super neat gadgets. Cool screen resolution and fantastic sound quality. They were making the group listen to their different ring tones. Just like the Nokia phones, you can assign a different ring tone for different groups, even for individual people in your address book.

There was a time when I too was very concerned about ring tones, and the manner in which I partitioned them out. That's the period I'll call my early twenties. Apparently after you hit a certain age you (1) stop caring about the phone you carry around; (2) stop wanting to learn how to work new phones and (3) want the phone to just stop ringing.

This whole ring tone show and tell got me thinking about the time I actually made myself personalized ring tones. Remember when you could actually type out the notes? And the guys in Greenhills were actually selling the "codes"? God that was sad. And then when the technology improved, you could actually record sounds.

And so I did.

On a quiet morning in my office at the Perm, I spoke clearly into the mic of my cellphone and recorded the following message/ringtone :

"Pick up your phone, Jona. Pick up. Jona, someone is trying to call you. Ring. Ring."

"Pick up the goddamn phone, will you!"

I remember thinking that I was sooo smart to think of something like that.

Ah, to be young and foolish.

No comments: