Sunday, January 21, 2007

W.O.W. (Work on Weekends)

When I was working at the Perm there were these long stretches of time I would come in on Saturdays, sometimes even Sundays. When you start your professional life working on weekends, you (a) assume everyone else does and (b) get used to it. This will in turn make you (1) resentful and spiteful of people who don't come in on weekends, BUT (2) a really good worker.

This sounds crazy, but there really is something to be said about developing good work habits. But you need to start young. When you don't know any better. Apparently most people don't come in one weekends, and putting in the extra the hours is unheard of in most establishments. At the Perm it was expected. The norm. So we came in almost every weekend in shorts, turned on the radio, and worked on contracts while eating take-out from McDonald's.

This went on for a few years. But when I was in my third year at the Perm, when I started working closely with many different clients, it was only then that I realized that people generally don't come in on weekends (which explains the light traffic to Makati, Jona). But by then it was too late. I had established a pretty good work ethic (and thereby turned into a dolt). I plodded away until the job got done. Weekends and holidays notwithstanding.

I still work that way. And that's why I'm typing this out from work.

On a Sunday.

No comments: