Saturday, January 27, 2007

Eye candy

I don't follow professional sports. Frankly, I find it boring. It's like watching Romeo and Juliet again and again. The "issues" are the same. Underdog defeats champion. Champion brings game to new level. Last second winning shot, touchdown, point. Bottom of the 9th two run homer. Someone chokes. Someone is doping or gambling or involved in a drive-by shooting.

*Yawn*

Professional sports are like soap operas. All conceivable plot lines have been exhausted.

And for the same reason I occasionally watch soap operas, I occasionally watch professional sports: to gawk at physically attractive people.

Pete Sampras, Anna Kournikova, Seve Ballesteros, Maria Sharapova, David Beckam, Rafael Nadal. I have no idea what off-side means in soccer, but I will sit through 90 minutes of football to watch Beckam run.

Now that you know where I'm coming from on this point, it was with extreme sadness for me to find out that Serena Williams is back in the game. She beat Maria Sharapova 6-2, 6-3 in the finals of the Australian Open. Serena is back.

Now this woman is a phenomenal athlete. She single-handedly revolutionized women's tennis. She's strong and smart.

But she's not easy on the eyes.

How am I supposed to watch tennis now?

I think I should just stick with The Bold and the Beautiful.

No comments: