Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Perfect Egg

Today I fried myself the perfect egg.

My perfect egg is prepared once over easy, medium. And for those unacquiated with egg speak, that means the egg is flipped after frying it on one side, with a focus on cooking the yolk, but not cooking it through that it dries out.

The edges of the egg white should be crispy (but not burnt!), so it it crunches when you chew. There should be just the right amount of salt and pepper. Not too much oil, not too little.

And for God's sake, use an extra large egg. There's no point in going through this painful process for a teeny weeny regular sized one.


x x x

I've found that there are generally only 3 ways of eating a fried egg with sinangag and [insert your favorite processed food here]:

1. Mashing up the egg on your rice - my mother does this. I'm not a fan of this technique. First you slowly put the egg on a mound of rice and then mash it up (or as my mother does it, make methodicial criss cross cuts along the egg). The effect is the same, you mix up the egg and the rice. Ugh.

2. Eating only the yolk or only the egg white - If I had a choice, I'd eat only the yolk and the male parental unit eats only egg whites. We're a team.

3. Eating the entire egg, but consuming the yolk or the egg white first - My sister does this. She's one of those people who saves the best part of anything for last. She'll eat the belly of the fish last, save the quail eggs in Chinese vegetable dishes till the end of the meal.

I understand the benefit of delayed gratification, but I think this one goes a bit too far, don't you think?

No comments: