Friday, January 26, 2007

A loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick-o-buttah

Some people buy real estate, I buy butter.

I bought a stick of butter today. I consider this act to be a clear sign of my wanting to settle down in HK. Since moving here more than 5 months ago, I have not signed a long-term lease. I have not purchased any household appliance or fixture. I can pack up my things and leave tomorrow.

I value this nomad/international gun for hire lifestyle. I think it's really cool I can just pack up and go and relocate to [insert bizarre location here].

But today, I let a little bit of that go. I allowed myself to settle in.

I bought a stick of butter.

[Reader: Don't worry, this post does have a point. And I will get there.]

You see, I only buy two kinds of groceries: those I can consume in 2-3 days, and beer (which I consume immediately). I don't stock up on food because from experience they go bad. And when food goes bad then I feel bad. (There's something heartbreaking about food going bad. I find the wastefulness criminal.)

So I don't buy things that will sit in the fridge for long. That's how I was, until today.

Today I decided to "commit" to a stick of butter and the lifestyle that comes with it. When you buy a stick of butter you're telling the world, "I can't finish this in one sitting. I can't prepare one dish and use it up. I will need to make this sit in the fridge for some time. And wait for those moments you want to eat something that needs butter in it."

I will need to stay put for a while.

No comments: