Monday, August 28, 2006

My POEA Adventure (Part II)

I'm writing this from an internet cafe in Robinson's Galleria. I need to kill an hour to know if my documents will be processed today or if I have to come back tomorrow. My money is on coming back tomorrow. But I'll wait anyway.

Today was (is) not as benign as Friday. I got to the POEA at 7:45 this morning because they told me to be there at 7:45. No one told me that you can't wait inside on Mondays because of the blasted flag ceremony (complete with Panatang Makabayan and self-glorifying speech of POEA Administrator). So I was squished among the sea of humanity waiting in the (get this) the "waiting area" cordorned off for stupid people like me who arrive when they're instructed to.

I finally get into the PDOS room a quarter after 8, and for 5 hours after that, I had to sit through what would have been a very instructive course for someone who has never been on an airplane before. Things discussed: what you can bring with you (no guns and ammunition), how to use the seatbelt (connect two ends) and overhead compartment (lift metal latch to open, wait to hear click when shutting). Reminders: don't sit on the first available seat you see, the food is free.

I'll blog again on how the rest of my day(s) goes. But I want to mention something that struck me this morning. At the beginning of the orientation, our moderator asked who had jobs here before deciding to go overseas. About half a dozen arms shot up in the air, mine included.

There were at least 200 people in the room.

x x x

I'm back home now. True enough, I need go back tomorrow.

No comments: