Sunday, August 06, 2006

If Jona Would Endorse Yonex


I was sitting on the plastic benches along the side of the badminton courts, sweating profusely and breathing laboriously. I'd been whacking a shuttlecock with a club pro for exactly 2 and a half minutes. I was taking my first break.

In those seconds of recovery from intense physical activity (when the brain doesn't have enough oxygen) I thought about what it would be like if I, Jona, the back-to-back Olympic gold medalist for badminton, would endorse Yonex, the world's most popular and successful manufacturer of badminton equipment.

I figured the TV ad should be a 30 second version of a typical hour of my "training sessions."

So it will be something like this:

Techno music as I drive Ford Escape to court. Shot of my Mizuno gum soled shoes. Cut to me stretching, showing logo of my (fake) Nike shirt. Then it's a shot of me tossing two brand new shuttlecocks on the court. Close-up of the shuttlecocks falling on the green mat to show the brand: RSL. Camera back to me as I swing my racket in the air. Special "camera clicking" effect as separate slow motion frames are necessary to show logo of racket. We need this since my all-graphite Astec racket goes really really fast.

I hit the shuttlecock with an invisible opponent for a couple of seconds then I sit and gulp down a sweaty bottle of red Gatorade. This resting part goes on for the remaining 18 seconds of the ad.

I don't know about you, but I'm thinking this pitch would go very well with Yonex execs.

No comments: