Saturday, August 05, 2006

Brenner Needs A Bartend


My standards are pretty low. My only requirement for a dessert place is that it should serve beer.

Max Brenner does not serve beer.

So you can imagine my disappointment last night when I tried to order a SMB Light. (Hey, that rhymes!) Apparently, while MB serves 32 kinds of chocolate, it serves 0 kinds of beer. My friends offered to move, but I figured that like McGyver, I could get myself out of a situation using the bare materials at hand. The situation being we had just sat down to have dessert at a no beer establishment.

I looked around the room and spotted a shelf with what looked like bottles of booze. As I approached the wall I confirmed that the bottles did in fact contain liquor. But upon even closer inspection, I realized that the bottles contained liqueur. You know, stuff like schnapps, curacao, Irish cream, etc.

"I can work with this," I thought.

I scanned the bottles again and spotted a dusty bottle of vodka tucked way in the back. There was vermouth so I asked the waiter if he knew how to make martinis. He responded by giving me a blank stare. Then I asked him if he had orange juice, and he said he just ran out. Great. There goes my Screwdriver.

In about 30 seconds I figured out the different drinks I could prepare. With vodka, schnapps and a few other ingredients on hand, I could make something like 3 different drinks (Mandy Candy, Hard Goya, etc). I add the Irish cream into the formula and we're in for a good time (Mudslide, Screaming Orgasm, etc.). But the waiter looked clueless. I think he wanted me to order a coffee.

So I in a resigned tone I asked, "May Sprite ba, Boss?"

Finally the waiter responds. He asked if I wanted a single or a double.

I think you can guess how McGyver replied.

2 comments:

Quien said...

that would actually be the second time you've asked for beer in max brenner... ;p

Jona said...

That's right! I almost forgot! But remember the first time? Remember how "happy" I was? You have to agree that it is perfectly understandable why I forgot about it.