Saturday, August 19, 2006

More Powers


Half of the Campers were out today (the Campers being my high school crew). We had our standard 2 hour-lunch, this time at Chocolate Kiss along Roces. Afterwards, we went next door to Papemelroti's main branch (the "Mothership" according to C.).

We goofed around for almost an hour commenting on the silly inscriptions on the magnets and assorted bric-a brac. There was a button for sale that read, "I LOVE DE GUZMAN TECH." Asked K., "Why did they bother to make that?"

As I was paying for the Pinoy inspired cards I wanted to buy (foreigners just eat that stuff up) I noticed a guestbook leaning against a vase on the counter. I leafed through it and scanned the inscriptions customers before me had scribbled in.

One read, "Friendly service; creative items. More powers."

Hmmm.

I mulled over the testimonial for a while longer and tried not to laugh. In fact, I tried really hard to think of a situation where "more powers" would be an accurate, nay, an appropriate message.

So this is what I came up with as I was fishing money out of my pocket to pay the cashier:

I'm at a wedding, and I'm giving the maid of honor speech in honor of the groom, my best buddy Superman. I open with your traditional, "I've known Ka-el a long time now, and we've been through a lot..." I side step his former marriage to Louise Lane and his recent bout with substance abuse. With a nostalgic note I reminisce about Ka-el turning back time so I could cheat on my finals in high school and when he did it again a few years ago to make a killing at the stock market.

I end the speech by raising my glass to the happy couple and say, "Superman, my friend, my buddy, my amigo. I wish you lifelong happiness, contentment, and peace of mind. And in addition to your x-ray vision, I wish you elasticity. More powers."

No comments: