Friday, August 18, 2006

Me, Myself and I

I just got home from the first of what will be a series of dinner parties to say goodbye to friends. I don't have many friends, but I do have many "sub-groups" of friends. People I know from different parts of my life who have nothing to do with each other apart from having me as a common acquaintance.

It's nice having all these different little pockets of people in your life. You tend to take on a slightly different persona with each group, depending on what kind of person you were growing up when you met them and depending also on the social constructs and shared interests that define your relationships.

To illustrate: I'm a little more goofy with my high school classmates. I've known them since I was a child. A little more nerdy and competitive with my law school group, I didn't do well in school for nothin'. A little more articulate with the office crowd: there's always someone to impress. And of course, a little more of a lush with my weekend pals; that's sort of all we do.

No comments: