Friday, August 18, 2006

I See Crazy People

I've blogged a lot about my recent sojourns to the gym, and hopefully you've made a mental picture of what it's like. It's the gym in a (rather run down) sports club. Not a "stand alone" gym like Fitness First or Gold's. This gym is very cheap (i.e. P40/hour that I just sign for) and very pathetic. Two lonely treadmills in a room full of rather archaic weight machines. I go there because no one will know me.

There are a number of crazy (or sometimes just plain creepy) people at my gym. Here are a few of them:

1. Lady Using Treadmill Backwards

This woman takes the loony cake. She exercises backwards. To say she is distracting is an understatement. Imagine you've been on the treadmill 15 minutes, keeping a steady pace, focusing on a tiny dot at the opposite wall, running until your legs get all wobbly, then she's right next to you: walking backwards.

2. Big Creepy Gay Guy

Believe me, I am gender neutral, but BCGG just freaks me out. He's uber big, and he doesn't look at women. But when it comes to boys, he'll flat out stare. I have to admit that at first I was slightly slighted by his disinterest (this even with the 30 pounds I need to lose). BCGG just wouldn't even acknowledge my existense. (He's there almost everyday and I thought I'd make a friend. You know, a big creepy guy friend.) Then while I was running alongside Skinny Boy on the treadmill, I fugured it out.

3. Food Channel Junkie

This Lady likes watching the Food Channel on the gym tv. There's a tiny set mounted on the wall in front of the treadmills, and Food Channel Lady will automatically grab the remote and put her favorite channel on. As a chef prepares juicy steaks and fluffy air light pastries, you run. It's twisted, it's sick. Why can't we watch the Sports Channel.

No comments: