Saturday, December 16, 2006

Food association

Whenever I eat anything, I remember something.

When I prepare and eat a pan fried steak, I think of my sister. She loves making those for herself.

When I have cotton candy or kropek, I think of the pathetic (but oh so much fun) street fairs (perya) my Dad would bring me and my sister to when we were young.

When I eat oysters on a half shell, I think of summers in Iloilo.

When I have a hotdog, I think of those early days of fall in NY when I just got there and kept converting everything into Pesos and didn't want to spend more than a dollar fifty a meal.

When I have foie gras I think of Chum and her crazy idea to raise a goose, fatten it, and send it to the slaughterhouse.

When I eat sisig, I think of Patrick's. The seedy bar me and my friends used to go in college. Then I start thinking of Esperanto, the bar we frequented (i.e. lived in) during law school. Sisig was good there too.

Ham makes me think of Christmas. Galantina my father's birthday. Corn dogs my birthday. Pancit means good news. Somehow we always have pancit to celebrate.

Red wine makes me think of Cheese and Cheers at the Perm. San Mig light reminds me of those random evenings N. and I would hit JG for dinner and drinks. He never refused.

Pancit palabok from Red Ribbon makes me think of my Grandmother. And sometimes I'd go and have some just to think of her.

No comments: