Saturday, December 02, 2006

DVD Marathon Mania

What is it with these DVD compilations of TV series? Why are they so addictive? To paraphrase that ad for potato chips in the 90's, you can't watch just one episode. You need to watch 3-4 at a time, even if it costs you half a night's sleep.

My first run-in with these box sets was with Sopranos, then Sex In the City. Now you see I'm a hardcore Sopranos and SITC fan, so buying the sets (in the original) made sense. I would watch my favorite episodes over and over (There's this episode in Season 2 of SITC when Carrie breaks up with Mr. Big. I cry everytime I see it. Everytime.)

With the technology of piracy advancing, "box sets" aren't in boxes anymore. And neither are they "sets". I watched the first two seasons of Entourage from a single disc. These compilations are getting so cheap (Entourage cost me PhP65) and so good (not a single episode skipped), it feels like such a waste not to have the complete second season of Magnum P.I.

And you end up watching things you were originally only mildly interested in (i.e. Entourage). That's 10 hours of my life I'm not getting back, but last weekend I felt I would just die I didn't know if Vince would get to play Aquaman. (He does!)

Amazing how media develops to suit our ever increasing demands for immediate and accelerated entertainment.

Remember when we actually had to wait for every Tuesday to watch episodes of the A-Team?

No comments: