Friday, October 27, 2006

Those round thingys that hold your cuffs together


"Silk knots. They're called silk knots, Jona."

I've known about silk knots since I started wearing shirts with french cuffs, but I haven't actually known what they were called until last week.

My tailored shirts from Manila always came with two buttons that were joined together by a string. Like a really really poor man's cufflinks. (Here's a thought: would a really really poor person have cufflinks? Ooohhh.....)

When I got to Hong Kong, each time I had my shirts dry cleaned, those buttons would disappear. And after about a week, I'd gone through all my shirts and all my buttons were gone.

I needed to buy those round thingys that hold your cuffs together.

I walked in the office right next to mine, W's, and described in a very articulate fashion what I needed to buy. It did not help that I was wearing a blouse that day.

"I need those round thingys that hold your cuffs together," gesturing to my non-existent cuffs.

Hong Kong being what it is, I had a pack by day's end.

(And if you think this post is inane, wait till you read the next one.)

No comments: