Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Finally

My boss T. uses a red pen to review and mark-up the drafts of letters, contracts, notices, forms, heck, all written material I prepare. And when he's done, my drafts looks like they had a bad day in Bahgdad. They're bloddy all over; with red ink all over the margins, sometimes even spilling to the back side of the page. Everyday, dozens of literary massacres occur within my 20 square meter office.

Everyday until yesterday, that is.

Until yesterday, T. would come into my room with a draft he just butchered, sit down, make himeslf comfortable and begin to tell me in a very calm and methodical manner why my work is crap. Well, he doesn't use the word "crap" he says things like, "I would have done it this way..." "This is what I would do..."

Eh di ikaw na nga lang ang gumawa?!

But of course I don't say that. I just think that and send angry telepathic messages. Good thing T. is American and does not understand Tagalog.

Yesterday he comes in as usual with a draft of a loan agreement I handed him 10 minutes before. A draft that took me 3 hours to prepare and he says, "I added a "the" on page 4."

I look at the white pristine pages of the contract and look back up at him.

"That's it?"

That's it.

Touch down.

No comments: