Saturday, October 07, 2006

All Grown Up

Yesterday I signed the lease for my new flat.

I consider it my first official act as an adult. Ok, so maybe at 31 I'm a little late, but hey, I pay in rent per month what most people pay in a year, so cut me some slacks. LOL.

Again, as with most things, the experience was anti-climactic. I thought I had to pass on the flat when a conference call I was on lasted longer than expected. The realtor told me I had to show up at the leasing office at 1230. At 430, I was still on the never-ending call. The realtor was specific: if I don't show up at the designated time, they're going to lease it to someone else. And then I go back to the end of the reservation line or start my search all over again. Take your pick.

I got back to my office more exhausted from the call then disappointed about passing up on the apartment. By that time I really didn't care where I lived for so long as I got that squeeky voice of the client out of my head.

I found a brown envelope on my seat. It contained the contract and a yellow sticky that said I should sign on the dotted line and make sure I had a messenger send it to the leasing office before 600. I checked my watch: lots of time.

I move into the showcase apartment November 4.

No comments: