Friday, October 06, 2006

The Best (and Worst) Things About Living Alone

The Best:

1. It's quiet. When you get home, you don't need to tell anyone about how your day went. You turn on the lights, slide into pajamas and unwind. No need to make conversation.

2. You can live like a slob. With no one to tell you to pick up afteryourself (and twice a week maid service) you can leave that pair of jeans in the exact spot where you took them off. You can leave the dishes unwashed (yay!) and no one will tell you you have the habits of Oscar the Grouch.

3. You can do anything you damn well please. Wanna change the channel in the middle of House? Go right ahead. Want to eat? Then go nuke something. Wanna go for a walk and see lots of Chinese people? Enjoy. You don't want to do anything apart from stare at a wall all day? Suits me just fine. You think about no one's schedule apart from your own.


The Worst:

1. It's too quiet. Sometimes I'm in the middle of doing a mundane household chore and I remember something funny. I laugh out loud, turn to say something and then realize no one is there.

2. I'm turning into a slob. No one is nagging me to hang my jeans after I take them off. The iron I tried to work on my first day here is in the exact same spot I left it 4 weeks ago. My dry cleaning is still hung on my door, with the plastic covers of the suits I've worn strewn everywhere. If the place I'm staying at didn't have maid service, this place would like Darfur (on a good day).

3. There is no number 3.

That's just it. I love the fact I can do anything I damn well please. Moving here on a whim is precisely something I could not have done if I were attached or had dependents.

And the freedom is intoxicating.

No comments: