Monday, October 02, 2006

On Being Home (But Not)

I've been in Manila since Saturday night. And while I feel like I'm home (driving around, going out with friends, hanging out with the parental units, texting for only P1 a pop) I feel that I am only visiting. Like the whole concept of home has been turned on its head.

While walking around Rockwell yesterday afternoon, it felt so good to be a local. You look like everyone else. Speak the language. Understand and appreciate the nuances of culture and behavior. I felt a sense of calm at the idea that I was among my fellow Pinoys. It felt so good to belong; to be just like everyone else.

But then I get this eerie sensation that I'm not from here. I guess it's because in less than 48 hours I'll be on a plane back to the land of SAR(s), where ever so slowly and steadily I am building a life.

This transition period sucks. I am neither here nor there and believe me, you'd rather be somewhere other than nowhere.

No comments: