Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wanting a tattoo

My father will never understand (nor agree with) this, but people my age (in their 30's) have at one point in their lives wanted a tattoo. Or at the very least thought tattoos were cool.

It was back in college that I thought tattoos were the bomb. They were the mark (pun intended) of tough, no-nonsense, very very dangerous girls. My standard outfit in college was a light colored Giordano polo shirt tucked into khaki shorts with a braided belt and loafers -- I was the farthest thing from dangerous. I was f*cking amiable.

There were these girls who used to hang out near we (the dorks) did. They were skinny, had long straight hair, wore Doc Martens, torn jeans, and smoked like chimneys. They were so cool. One Monday, one of them came to school with a tattoo - a unicorn (or it could have been Pegasus). And we stared. In awe.

The closest thing I got to a tattoo was getting a sun painted in henna on the back of my neck while I was on vacation in Boracay. After one shower, it looked like an impressionist octopus.

15 years after college I think tattoos are icky and gross and getting them is a really great way of catching hepatitis. But I can still remember the mystique they once had for me. And I will always understand why someone (between the ages of 16-24) would want one.

No comments: