Tuesday, May 15, 2007

At the printers

The last time I was at the printers was a little over two years ago. I was still at the Perm and the client flew N. and me to Hong Kong to work on their "book" (prospectus).

Most of you are probably wondering: why the need to print the book in Hong Kong and fly your lawyers out there? Why not just print it in Manila? Well, because printers in Hong Kong are far more sophisticated than Philippine printers. They can churn out prospectuses (with very complicated formatting -- from a printing perspective) with ease and in very little time. In the Philippines, the process would take weeks of type setting, proofing, etc. In Hong Kong, it takes hours. So that's why we Shanghai-ed to Hong Kong.

I remember being unbelievably excited about the whole concept of flying to HK. Until then, I had never had the opportunity to travel overseas for business. So this was a pretty big deal for me.

Amazing how just two years later, I get out of bed and literally amble to the printers in jeans and loafers. This whole sudden shift in perspective. It never ceases to amaze me. It's never lost on me.