Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Breaking-in

I finally broke in my new shoes today. They're not new anymore, over a month and a half and only now can I wear them without getting little cuts on my feet (the most annoying kind).

There is something exceedingly annoying about uncomfortable shoes. There's the obvious, "Tang ina, I thought these were comfortable." thought that passes through your head after you realize you just spent a lot of money on really nice looking feet manglers. Then there's the whole mind over matter, "I will break these shoes in, come what may." And you are having a battle of wills with two pieces of badly dyed leather. You live with wearing the band-aids ("It's ok, it's really not much of a hassle.") and getting the blisters anyway ("I just won't wear them tomorrow so my feet can rest, but I'll try again the next day").

And then one day, after you've almost given up, ("Ok, fine, they really won't stretch no matter what I do") the shoes give in and they're almost wearable. That's the day you look at the small mountain of used band-aids and the significant scar tissue on your feet and think, "I knew these were super comfortable when I bought them."

No comments: