Thursday, May 10, 2007

Terrible with names, even worse with faces.

Unless I really get to know you, chances are I will forget you. This sounds mean, impersonal, and makes me sound like a jerk, but that's just the awful truth. I'm not one of those people who never forgets a face. I'm more like those people who never remembers a face.

And what makes matters worse is that people seem to remember me (I can't imagine why). I've had more than my share of uncomfortable incidents when people come up to me and say hi, and I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE. Nothing. I draw a blank. No general context (i.e. someone from high school or law school, a former collegue or student). Nada. I just don't remember.

Lately, these meetings with strangers have been getting spooky. I don't know anyone in Hong Kong. So when someone says, "Oh my God, it's you" I naturally freak out. This has happened a few times since I got here. People I've met at dinner parties years ago will say hello. Some will say who they are (I'm whatshernamescousin) but others will not. They will just say my name with a tone of familiarity and I will look awkward and try to look like a have a vague idea who that person is.

So when we meet again and I look at you with this half smile half grimace, please just get me out of my misery and tell me who you are.

1 comment:

Quien said...

Stop. I know exactly what you mean.

Only I remember all the details EXCEPT the name. I remember that she used to cut her wrists with a bread knife or that he used to hang out with the B girls. I'd remember that he used to wear braces, that she has two children. But, no name.

What I do in these situations is just say "UY!" excitedly, like seeing them is the most delightful thing that happened in my day.