Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Moving Out, Moving In, Moving Up (Again)

So I moved out of my fabulous apartment and moved into a nice one. It's serviced too, so my linens and towels still get changed regularly (just not everyday). I now have two other neighbors on my floor (it used to just be me). And my celings are no longer cathedral like. They're now prayer room like.

There are a few things I need to get used to: my bathroom is now just a real bathroom, not a room where I can bathe and hold soirees. There's no DVD player in the bedroom (I never used the one in the old apartment, but somehow I actually miss it), no iPod dock. I know my flat is the farthest thing from "roughing it", but somehow when you get used to these small luxuries (and believe me, you can "get used" to these things in no time), not having them suddenly becomes an annoyance. Which is strange because I lived the first 32 years of my life without an iPod dock and I did just fine.

My new place is also smaller, so I can't really walk around my flat anymore. I have a nice view of buildings and a ledge where I can sit and read (something I didn't have in my old digs), but the whole concept of "going from one room to the next" is now a memory. Sorry, future guests, we'll be very "cozy" on your next visit.

And one other thing -- I have room service now. Which is both a blessing and a bane. It's great to have someone bring in a hot meal at 11pm when you're exhausted and can't even figure out the light switches, but it feels so artificial, just like a hotel.

Good thing I can get used to these things in no time.

No comments: