Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Posts I Never Posted

I write out stuff that goes through my head. Sometimes they become posts, most times they remain drafts; unfinished ideas that just hang there. Here are a few of those that ended up on the cutting room floor....

My second name is Paz

My aunt Paz died not two months before I was born. My parents say she had a great sense of humour, dark curly hair and a distinct laugh; pig-headed and funny.


WARNING: This is a highly INANE post.

As I tossed the empty cardboard egg container into the bin, I made a mental note to go to the grocery and pick up more eggs. And beer. We're down to one Tsing Tao and the free Heineken which came in the gift basket. And I need OJ. And frozen siomai.

15 minutes later I leave the apartment for the 20 step walk to the grocery, dreading every step. I've always wondered why people like going grocery shopping. I hate grocery shopping. It is just like any errand, it's an obligation. Something someone else can do for you (not unlike paying a credit card bill.) Unfortunately, I am in HK and my groceries are paltry so I don't qualify for home delivery. (And then there's the fact that I live two buildings away from the grocery.)


Sige na nga...

Have you ever wanted to do something so bad you were compelled to do it? I'm talking about physically-moved-by-an-external-force compelled.

That third beer, that cigarette, those really expensive shoes, that call to someone in the middle of night, going back to and re-reading for the 7th time the two-paragraph e-mail you've wasted an hour drafting. Okay, so maybe only I get that last reference.


Constant Discontent

An old wise man once told me that to succeed in anything I had to have constant discontent. You need to improve, develop, progress, advance. All the time.

I was glad Old Wise One told me about constant discontent when I was young and impressionable. I believed him, and have sort of led my so-called life accordingly. I honestly believe that I can always do better, achieve more. Why content yourself with something, anything you can improve?

To be happy, that's why.

No comments: