Saturday, March 17, 2007

Chucho who?

I went to see a jazz concert last night. Some guy called Chucho Valdes. I say "some guy" because I didn't know who he was. Ate Maya talked me into seeing the show. Not that my arm needed twisting.

Apparently, Chucho is a legend in Cuban jazz. Like Jack Nicklaus is to golf. (I know, not the greatest analogy, but that's all that comes to mind right now.) The programme said he was a prodigy, learning how to play piano at 5.

I learned how to read at 7. And yet I'm normal and hold a steady job. But wait, I'm digressing.

The show was terrific. He played a number of songs where the beat of the music played by his left hand was completely different than the one on the right. The drummer kept time with the right hand and the conga player kept time with the left. It was discordant. It was dizzying. It was amazing.

The closest thing I can do like that is to tap my head with my left hand while making circular motions over my tummy with right hand.

No comments: