Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Walang pasok (aka Birthday ni Buddha)

There are 16 public holidays in Hong Kong. There are so many because Christian (Good Friday, Christmas), Buddhist (Ching Ming Festival) and Communist (National Day of the People's Republic of China) holidays are observed.

Now I love holidays (who doesn't?). But I don't care to know why there's no work. Basta walang pasok. Isn't that what really matters? Besides, most of the Buddhist/Chinese festivals are linked to the lunar calendar, so the dates swing wildly.

Sometime ago, I had dinner with a friend's houseguest, right before a Buddhist holiday. We got to talk about the upcoming event and she pressed me to explain the reason for the day off.

"Who the F cares?", I wanted to say.

Instead I said it was Buddha's birthday. I mean, with all the re-birth going on (not reincarnation dummy, I know my World Religions) in Buddhism, the Big Guy must have at least 16 birthdays.

x x x

But if you must know, because you have nothing better to do on a holiday than to think about why it is holiday, today people celebrate the Mid-Autum Festival. No work in Hong Kong. It's supposed to be some harvest festival. People light lanters, look at the moon while eating -- you guessed it -- mooncake.

Happy now?

2 comments:

Quien said...

I've never had mooncake before. The first one I ever tasted was the one you gave me.

It was surprisingly, amazingly YUMMY!

Thanks again, my friend. (Even though that mooncake was probably recycled.)

Jona said...

OMG. I cannot believe that you would even consider that I would recycle the mooncake.

Me? Recycle gifts? Gifts to friends? Gifts to TFBFs?

Well, yeah.