Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My unexpected meeting with the iPhone

One of the things I need to do as part of my job is to take propsective associates to lunch to woo them. To tell them how great the Firm is and how working in an exciting city like Hong Kong is the greatest thing in the universe.

This is a great perk, I'm not complaining. But after some time, the lines get old, and the conspiratorial whisper I give to the applicant, "It's ok, you can relax now, the interview is over" sounds rehearsed. I try to focus on the good food and the fact that I can actually bill lunch time, but the fact is, after a dozen of these lunches or so, they simply get boring.

Until yesterday, that is.

Yesterday, the kid in the funny looking pin stripe suit (these kids wear the funniest things) discretely pulled out what I thought was an i-Phone from his pocket to answer a phone call. So I said very calmly from across the table, "Stop right now. Is that that an i-Phone you have?"

This must have frightened the poor child because he did literally stop, look at me and say, "Um, yeah. You want to see it?" He then handed me the gadget.

Since I did now want to speak to the person pin stripe suit boy had on the line, I refused and said, "say goodbye first".

He then realized his mistake, apologize to both me and the caller, then handed me the gadget again. (This act did not go unnoticed. I put in a good word for the oddly dressed kid.)

That baby is amazing.

It's smooth, slim and sexy and has rounded edges. The touch screen works like magic. It's like the damn thing came shooting out of a sci fi movie ala Purple Rose of Cairo.

I'd never buy one though -- it looked too fragile. Like it would break or worse, get scratched, if I dropped it or put in my pocket. If I simply handled it. It is meant to be admired, behind a glass window.

No comments: