Tuesday, September 04, 2007

No shit, Sherlock

I find it amazing that researchers in Germany actually spent time and resources to come to the conclusion that men fancy physically attractive women over those who are plain looking. (Actual CNN headline: Men want hot women, study confirms.)

Full CNN story HERE.

This reminds me of the "experiment" I conducted for my second grade science class. I wanted to get to the bottom of that question that has nagged every 7 year old child --

"Do cockroaches need air?"

And if you should ask, "how, pray tell, do you go about finding the answer to that puzzle?"

Easy. First I caught four cockroaches (if you knew me at 7 you would know that this would be a piece of cake). I put one pair in two empty glass bottles. One had the lid closely shut, and the other bottle's lid had holes I'd punched in with an ice pick (God, I can actually remember doing this!)

SPOILER ALERT: The results of the experiment may shock you.

At the end of the day (sorry, wasn't keeping a record of how long it took for the cockroaches to asphyxiate) the cockroaches in the bottle with no air holes died. The roaches in the bottle with the air holes lived for a couple of days. (To be honest I don't remember what I did with them.)

"I therefore conclude that cockroaches need air."

No comments: