Sunday, September 16, 2007

Further adventures in a Chinese gym

If you've been reading this blog when I started it in mid-2006 or if you've read the archives (you must be very bored or very disturbed to do this) you will know that I've never been a member of a "real" gym before.

But I am now, and I'm fascinated over gym protocol and behavior. Allow me to share with you some of my observations.

No fat people. I am the only overweight person who goes to my gym. Everyone else is buff and cut or else Sudanese thin. Why would you go to the gym if you were Sudanese thin? To build muscle? Then why go on the cardio machines? If you are Sudanese thin you need a saline drip, not a gym membership.

Gym outfits. Everyone comes in "proper" gym outfits. You know, the ones you buy at a sports shop specifically to go the gym. I wear ratty Ateneo Law or CU t-shirts. This has not worked out for me. Combine excess poundage with pambahay attire and people look at you with sad eyes and feel sorry for you. Thank God I don't give a flying rat's ass what these people think.

Make-up and jewelry. I can't understand this. Why do some of the women look like they've just stepped out of the beauty parlor on their way to a wedding? It is inappropraite to get on a step master wearing an anklet. Also, it is morbidly disgusting to perspire while wearing foundation.

Agressive gay men. With the amount of wicked glances by the weight machines, one wonders what goes on in the locker room. Senator Craig would have a field day.

No comments: