Friday, September 28, 2007

Really bad, Really good, bad, ok lang, good

The only way to get over a bad movie is by watching a good one.

So I watched "Service for 10" to get over the movie (called, funnily enough) "The Ex".

The Ex was baaad. As in really bad. As in non flying bird (i.e. "foul") bad.

I picked up my copy at Metrowalk because Zach Braff was in it. So was Amanda Peet. So I'm thinking, it can't be that bad. And I saw the trailer on i-Tunes, and did not remember it being foul, so I forked out my P55 for the DBD and that's P55 I'm never getting back. Not to mention the hour and half of my life I wasted watching the film.

It was painful to watch. It was one awkward and stupid scene after another. I felt bad for Charles Grodin, I've always thought he was a nice, safe character actor. (Plus he had some work done so he kinda looks funny.) Amy Poehler was wasted.

Anyway... so I cleansed my movie palette with "Service for 10", a Brit indie film I knew was good. And I was not disappointed. It was like The History Boys, sans the "I want to be the British cousin of Dead Poet's Society" vibe.

After you watch a good movie, you think all movies are good and well written and cohesive, so of course the next thing you do is watch a movie that will remind you that you are wrong.

For me, that movie was "In the Land of Women." I saw it because Adam Brody was in it (so ok, I have thing for pa-intellectual skinny boys). It was not painful to watch, and some scenes were actually pretty good, but 25 minutes into the movie the director seems to have forgotten where he was headed and he lost his way. He never finds his way back, I'm afraid.

So now I'm thinking, ok, I watched another bad movie, let me watch a really bad one, para madala ako. So I will be shaken back to my good movie sensibilities. I watch "Music and Lyrics", the date movie with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. Hugh looked old, Drew was skinny. Parts of the dialogue were great, pero medjo walang plot.

Back in the land of "let's watch movies with some sense and value", I popped in the indie film "Broken English" with Parker Posey. It was a neurotic thinking person's romatinc comedy. Very well shot. It was set in New York/Paris. This movie had great buzz, an exceptional cast, but somehow didn't quite live up to its expectations (the writing was unfocused). That said, I still thought it was pretty good.

3 comments:

ctl said...

Saw a really good movie..."Once." Have you seen it? It's excellent.

Jona said...

I've heard only good things about it. Will see it as soon as it comes out on video.

Quien said...

I get my DBDs for only P50... :p