Thursday, April 05, 2007

T.Y.

Each time I type out an e-mail that involves me thanking the addressee, I clam up. I know, it's a rather mundane task to thank someone when sending e-mail, but each time I have to, I worry about how to thank a person.

I've expressed gratitude using all of the words/phrases on this list. But somehow, each of them doesn't quite capture the message I'm trying to convey.

Thanks.

Usually the best way to show gratitude, but is so overused that I think it has lost its meaning. While at The Perm, people would close ALL e-mail with "Thanks," using it interchangeably with "Regards" or "Cheers". There's something slightly insincere about "Thanks." It's the English equivalent of, "Salamat, ha."

Tks. or Thx.

These are unacceptable to me, even if you are using a Blackberry. I don't understand why someone can't type out the 3 other letters to make out "Thanks". If "Thanks" sounds insincere, then Tks. or Thx. is less than insincere.

Many thanks.

Pretentious, but formal. So I use this quite a lot in work e-mail. You get the message across without sounding cute.

Thank you.

If you think about it, we should all just say "thank you" when we mean to say "thank you". But sometimes this looks awkward. Specially when you're closing with "Thank you." You almost sound like a beauty pageant contestant who after introducing herself as the representative of the sunny and historic Mehiko, closes with "I, thank you."

Thank you very much.

I think the whole "very much" part is just too much. It sounds like you're gushing. O.A. to be used all the time. Should be saved for those moments when you really are thankful.

Maraming salamat.

My favorite. This was my version of The Perm's "Thanks." practice. There's something cheerful and amiable about closing a rather complicated e-mail on derivatives with "Maraming salamat." Tells the reader that you're not as stuck-up as you may sound.

Thing is, this only works with Pinoys.

No comments: