Saturday, April 28, 2007

Have you ever been obsessed with a TV show?

I have, I must confess. Quite a number of times.

The first time was when I was 13 and R. was 15 and we were crazy about General Hospital. Yes, the soap opera. We were so into the Robert-Katherine-Anna love triangle/story arc that we would watch the episodes R. would tape everday after school. We'd read Soap Opera Digest to stay in the know. I confess that I named my favorite pillow Robert.

I was obsessed (though to a lesser degree) with Dawson's Creek. I didn't follow it religiously like I did GH, but there was something about the Dawson, Joey Pacey triumvirate that got to me. I read fan faction, can you believe it? To think that I was already in law school when this show ran. I confess that I had B. tape the final episode and mail it to me.

I was also very into Sex in the City. While I was living in New York as a poor grad student, I lived the glitzy life through Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha. It was great to have this peek into NY society and compare it with things I actually saw in real life. Mr. Big was MY emotionally detached dreamboat. I confess that I actually read two of Candace Bushnells's books.

Chum and I really got into one season of Survivor and a couple of seasons of That 70's Show, but our interest in those two shows fizzled as quickly as it started.

Recently I've been into House and Grey's Anatomy (ie I've watch all the episodes currently available on DBD) but not with the same intense obsession I had with General Hospital, not even Dawson's Creek. I confess that The O.C. was becoming my latest guilty pleasure, but they cancelled it just as I was warming up to the show.

No comments: