Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Love Affair With Hong Kong

HK and I met when I was a teenager. It was a pleasant meeting. Nothing to be excited about. I thought it was a giant China town, but with lots of Indians.

Back then, our vists were strictly supervised by my parents, which naturally made our time together seem artificial. I met only HK's popular and touristy side (aka Kowloon).

Then time passed. A lot of time. 15 years of time.

The next time HK and I would meet was for an 18 hour period the day I interviewed for the Firm. It had changed. The airport was faraway now; you landed on water instead of criss-crossing through high rises. I had changed. I was a lawyer, travelling by myself.

I've been seeing HK for almost 6 months now, and it's been a relationship with ups and downs. At first I hated that it didn't speak English so well, but I've learned to live with it. The reliability of the infrastructure, the predictability of the banking system and the low crime rate more than make up for it.

The hilly streets of Central took some getting used to, but I'm healthier for it. And the food. The food is amazing. Anything you want. Any day of the week.

We're in a good place now, HK and I. We're happy.

No comments: