Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

"Are you Catholic?", asked a collegue of mine today.

I gave her this really bizarre look. The kind of look Pinoy's get when you ask them if they're Catholic -- it's like being asked if you can see with both eyes. It's a fair question, but you never ask it. You presume the answer.

I thought: "Of course, I'm Catholic. Aren't we all?"

I keep forgetting I live in Hong Kong now.

Anyway, she asked because she was looking for ashes. It's a Ash Wednesday today, a.k.a Lent Day 1 (why doesn't the Church start renaming the holy days to suit the younger generation? Like JC's Bday for Christmas and JC's Bday (Part Deux) for Easter).

I responded, "Good luck finding ashes today. We're dispensed."

To which she replied, "True, but the reason we're dispensed is for the Chinese New Year holidays. I don't see you celebrating. Go find some ashes."

God I love working with lawyers. They're so logical, even with faith.

NB. Click here for more information on the dispensation of HK Catholics from fasting and abstinence on Ash Wednesday.

No comments: