Monday, July 17, 2006

Super Mario Brothers

Remember when everyone had a Family Computer (that red and white plastic contraption that came after Atari)?

Practically all Filipino households had one. Well, everyone but ours, that is. My mom considered all video games evil, so after our Atari conked out (or when we stopped playing with it -- I don't remember which came first) she refused to buy a Family Computer. Instead we purchased a brand new set of Encyclopedia Britannica. Woopeedoo.

While my classmates were learning all the secret moves to earn 1ups (that means extra lives to those losers not familiar with Family Computer talk), I was pouring over the EB volume containing the atlas. [A lot of good that did me. With the fall of the U.S.S.R. and all the other communist regimes, the world map of 1986 has changed radically.]

During sleep-overs or parties, the kids would play video games, and since I sucked (no practice, didn't know that you pressed A to jump and B to shoot -- or was it the other way around?) I wasn't part of the "cool kids". I could spot Slovakia on a map in under 3 seconds, but I couldn't get Mario to jump on that cloud to save my life. And really, unless you're a contestant on Jeopardy (which is actually my secret wish) when do you need to spot Slovakia on a map in under 3 seconds?

Fast forward 20 years. Family Computers are on sale again. It's retro now. Like java lamps and bean bags. P1,000 at Crossings Department Store. The other week I accompanied a friend to buy a unit. We went through dozens of 48 in 1 game cartridges to make sure we got just the right one. The one with Super Mario, PacMan and Tennis. We couldn't find it. We ended up buying 3 different cartridges.

While she tested the console, I tested the games. And not surprisingly, 20 years later, I still suck.

I'll take former Czech Republic regions for 800, Alex.

No comments: