Friday, July 21, 2006

Contra Tiempo

After more than 7 weeks in bed (on account of sheer laziness) I decided to get off what has become a really large ass and start exercising. The plan was to play badminton with a trainer.

Yes, lethargic me plays badminton. So often when I was younger that I would whack the shuttlecock with club pros. Back in the early 90's when badminton was not popular, I was really into it. And the sessions with trainers were not for exercise. The hours spent with the pro were to improve my swing, not my figure. You don't need to exercise at 16.

15 years and 30 pounds later, I can still whack the ball pretty well, but not with the same precision I had nor with the same lightness of foot (you try running around a badminton court at 31).

It's funny how I stopped playing badminton completely around the time it got really popular in Manila. Maybe it was the subconscious snob in me, but I didn't want people to think I played badminton only because it was uso. That I was trying to be "in". I didn't want to explain myself, so I stopped playing.

Stupid, but true.

Now that the game's popularity is waning, I feel like I want to start playing again. Talk about spirito de contradiccion.

No comments: