Monday, July 10, 2006

2008

The number of songs in my new iPod. I doubt if I'll listen to more than a hundred regularly. I don't even know why I have this compulsive need to load all of my CD's into it. Since buying the pod on Thursday, I've spent more than 18 continuous hours on this activity. And it's great because 1) you load more songs (yay!) and 2) you learn a lot about yourself, the way your musical tastes have evolved over the years.

For example, I own not one, but two Stephen Bishop CD's. I even own (GASP!) a Kenny G compilation. Can you believe this? To those reading this, I will perfectly understand if you have at this moment decided to un-friend me. Heck, even I would un-friend me if I could. Kenny G!! (And yes, un-friend is a perfectly acceptable made-up word.)

Then there was the motion picture score phase. Talented Mr. Ripley. American Beauty. Bed of Roses. Please, do not mistake this for the soundtrack phase or music-inspired-by-so-and-so-movie phase. Musicial scores only, please. I was in law school, I was pretentious.

A lot of chick music: Alanis, Indigo Girls, Jann Arden, Alana Davis, Julia Fordham, Everything But the Girl.

And recently, a lot (and I mean a lot) of pirated CD's. Compilations of all sorts. Alternative Live, Alternative Route, Alternative Tounge, Alternative Contagion. I cannot remember buying all those CD's, but apparently, I did. These were the days when they just mastered piracy. Remember when you spent P750 in 1992 to buy a compilation of 80's hits?! In 2002 you could buy the same compilation for P50.

So here I am again, furiously adding songs to my little black pod and finding more about myself. Tonight I've realized that in terms of music, I've gone from baduy to cheap in 15 years.

No comments: