Saturday, July 28, 2007

Stationery

When I was in elementary school, my favorite spot on campus was the nun-run stationery. It was a modest enterprise. The stationery itself was a tiny room, about a third of a classroom in size. It was only open during recess and lunch.

And there was always a long line. You needed to queue up to check out the pencils, erasers and notepads they had for sale. The selection was sparse. Only one brand of paper (cut into different sizes) one brand of pencils (Mongol) one brand of eraser.

Most days I'd line up just to look at the notebooks and pens. I had no intention of buying anything (nor did I have any money); I just wanted to be in the same room as those neatly stacked unmarked notebooks. To see the pencils still in their boxes, to smell the unblemished rubber erasers. When I got to the counter I'd say I forgot my wallet and slowly walk backwards, keeping my eye on the Bensia pencils or the Orion rulers.

25 years later I still like paper. And when I'm blue, I walk the 10 yards to the Firm's stationery: two floor to ceiling cabinets filled with Post-its (in all sizes), tape flags (in all colors of the rainbow), notebooks (ring bound or hard bound), note pads (last count they came in 4 sizes), pens (ball point, felt tip and ink), pencils (mechanical and regular), highlighters, rulers, clamps, scissors. All for me to take.

And I just stand there.

2 comments:

KarinA said...

heaven in a room for a post-it addict that is jona.

Anonymous said...

I can somehow relate to this post.

I'm addicted to school and office supplies. Some days I buy them. Some days, I don't. Both ways, the experience is always mesmerizing.

Is this normal or what?