Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Indian Numbering System

I'm on an Indian deal.

We're representing the sponsors who are developing a techno park in southern India. The cool part of my job is that I get to read and comment on contracts that will operate in different parts of the world. So the contracts can't really be "cookie-cutter" ones. They need to reflect what's going on in the trenches. And I need to be sensitive to those real world issues each time I pick up a document (or a "doc" as we call them here) whether it may be for a toll road in the Philippines, a gas plant in Indonesia and now, a techno park in India.

Again, I'm taking too long to make my point. This post is supposed to be about the numbering system used in India. They don't use the standard Arabic system used everywhere else. They use a slightly modified system.

One hundred thousand is numerically 100,000 everywhere else in the world. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Myanmar, it is 1,00,000 (this unit is called lahk). There is no unit of measure for million. Instead there is the crore which is equal to ten million. Numerically it is 1,00,00,000.

I bet good money you had no idea this was going on. That one fourth of the world had no concept of a million, but of 10 lahks.

Amazing, isn't it? For more information on the Indian system of numbering, CLICK HERE.

No comments: