Monday, July 23, 2007

Hong Kong Movie Channel

I think I've mentioned that I live in a serviced apartment. This is not as glamorous as it sounds. Yes, someone vacuums my rug three times a week, but I also have no control over some basic household amenities. Amenities like cable tv.

I am captive to whatever cable tv provider my building's management committee selects for the whole building. And since these guys want to maximize profits, they stick us with "basic cable". Which is like saying local tv, with CNN.

I guess this isn't too bad since I'm not a big TV fan anyways, but I'm just annoyed that I am prevented from watching "mainstream TV" not by a personal choice (that would be cool and elitist) but because my building is too cheap to get Star.

But anyway, I digress.

This post is supposed to be about HMC -- the Hong Kong Movie Channel (a "premier" channel on basic cable), where they feature movies made before 1997 only. Like someone at HMC programming said: ok, the world ended with The Handover, so we can only show movies like Rain Man or Die Hard (the first one).

Watching HMC reminds me of the trip I took to Baguio/Sagada one year. Chum and I were stuck in a bus for something like 9 hours. The ride was too bumpy for you to read, so all you could really do was watch Ghost over and over on the bus' tv.

No comments: