Saturday, September 09, 2006

You're On Your Own, Kid

After you use them, dishes need to be washed. Food does not cook itself. Clothes need to be laundered. You need to walk to the curb to get a taxi or to the train station to catch the MTR.

Then there's all this waiting. Things don't just lie and wait around for you all day. You queue up for the bus, you wait at the bank, the dry cleaners, the grocery.

I seem to vaguely remember all these things from my NY stint a few years ago. But somehow the almost 3 years back home made me forget all about living on your own. I still know how to cook, thankfully. But just thinking about the laundry I need to do by the end of the week makes me depressed. Then there's grocery shopping (I really really hate this one) and the hours spent doing a multitude of errands other people used to do for me before.

When I get depressed like this I turn on my 42" Plasma TV, glance at my view of the water and think happy thoughts.

No comments: