Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Karaoke Lists

If you haven't figured it out by now, I am one very competitive creature. Everything is a game to me, and I need to win. This philosophy includes evenings dedicated to karaoke.

In the "Saved Messages" folder of my mobile phone is a list of songs I have mastered. Songs I have sung again and again during previous drunken open mic nights. Songs I regularly sing while taking a shower. Songs whose lyrics I know from beginning to end. (By the way, knowing the lyrics to a song is key when showing off at karaoke. You need to look at the audience and emote. No time to read the screen at crucial moments.)

Right now my list includes:

Only Hope (Mandy Moore)
Unwell (Matchbox 20)
Take This Love (Sergio Mendes)
Please Don't Throw This Love Away (Martin Nievera)
Don't Know What to Say (Ric Segretto)

I know, I know, ang baduy ko. Ako ay sbaduy. Saksakan ng baduy. But hey, these tunes score me 100's!

x x x

My nephew P. has a karaoke list of his own. Right now his list consists of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Happy Birthday and I've Been Working on the Railroad (first two lines only).

He's at that age (2 and a half) when you ask him to sing and he breaks into song like Placido Domingo getting over laryngitis. P. is a rock star. He sings Happy Birthday every time he sees a flame (not even a candle). He breaks into Baa Baa Black Sheep as soon as you say, "P., can you sing B..."

The thing is though that P. doesn't know the words to most of his songs. He's got the melody down pat, but the words get mixed up. When he's old enough (in a few months), I will teach him the finer points of scoring well at karaoke.

No comments: