Saturday, September 23, 2006

Social Sin vs. Self-Actualization

I learned about social sin back in college. If I remember correctly the concept of social sin concerns individuals participating in behavior that has become socially acceptable although morally questionable or downright wrong. Like apartheid or slavery.

By living a certain lifestyle, individuals can participate in (or commit) social sin, even without committing traditional, specific act oriented sins. The concept of social sin goes into the social dimension of each of our actions. Everything we do affects other people and vice versa.

I know, I know... this stuff is not for everyone. But I grew up reading Thomas Aquinas and I actually believe most of this.

Self-actualization is a concept made popular by Maslow. You know, the hierarchy of needs guy. And if that doesn't ring a bell, please remind me why we're friends.

According to Maslow, self-actualization is the highest level of human development. Something attainable only after your basic physiological and emotional requirements have been fulfilled. It is what people strive for after they have the attained a certain level of status; self-esteem.

Now you might ask, so what brought these ideas into the frontal lobe of your little brain, Jona?

The answer: I went house hunting today.

I went to check out serviced apartments with the Firm's appointed realtor, Y. Y. is a short, pushy, noisy Chinese lady. I love that Y is on my side.

Rent in Hong Kong is exorbitant. Much higher than in New York (my only other first world reference for rent). A 700-900 square feet (70-90 square meters) one bedroom goes from anywhere between HK$ 22,000-35,000 (that's about USD3,200-4,500 or P165,000-over P220,000).

Yes, I know. It's crazy.

Y. has taken me around the island a few times since I got here, showing me the low-end places as well as the unbelievably high-end ones. After a while, they all look alike. But today, I walked into an apartment I felt I just had to live in. To say that it was luxurious is an understatement. Sarah Jessica Parker could live there. No. Gwyneth Paltrow. No. Michelle Pfeiffer.

I'm not really the glitz and glamour type, but this apartment reeked of success. You had to be someone to live there. And I want to be that someone.

I've worked hard in school and even harder the first few years of practice. I think it's time for me to step up and live a lifestyle I've always wanted and can now afford. I deserve to live in a beautiful apartment. Plus with the Firm's housing allowance, I can actually afford to live in a beautiful apartment.

But should I?

If I live in the showcase apartment, would I then be falling into the abyss of materialism and consumerism? Would I be permanently putting a magnet to my inner compass? Is this the start of a life I never wanted? I've always looked at materialistic people with pity. I feel sorry for them since they've lost all sense of what's important in life. All they want to do is acquire. As if having expensive things makes you better than everyone else. And if you think that, well, that's just silly.

But then I think I could be living in this:


No comments: