Sunday, September 10, 2006

Out For A Walk

In HK, people drive on the left side of the road. It is a pretty simple concept. Keep left. The thing is, retards who come from places where they drive on the right side of the road cannot seem to latch on the idea. So to avoid stupid people like me from getting plowed down by a speeding car, the government of HK has deemed it wise to paint signs on the road such as this:




I went walking around Sheung Wan today, the district where my serviced apartment is located, the place I will call home for about 4 weeks. Went to a couple of temples (didn't take pictures, I have this thing about not taking pictures in other people's places of worship) and a couple of parks.

Throughout my walk I thought: 1) Man, this place sure is hilly; and 2) Hong Kong really is China, with some western influences. Narrow street after narrow street I saw Chinamen plying their trades (noodle makers, coffin makers, antique sellers). You name the Chinese trade, they had it. Furniture craftmen, stationeries, incense makers.

I always thought HK was this really cosmopolitan town teeming with expats. And it is, to some extent, but it's really more of a quite Chinese trading center. Which is how it really was, before the Brits came.

Before heading home I came across a shop the piqued my curiousity. I took a picture:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to check out the "Peter Trading Company" (always closed, for some weird reason), and "Chow Tai Fook" (all three of life's essentials, available in one little store).