Thursday, September 07, 2006

Time's Up

After 13 weeks of naps, novels, movies, three hour lunches and four hour coffee breaks, my vacation is finally coming to an end. I fly out on Friday. Now that the move is imminent, those 3 months seem to have sprinted by.

Funny how time plays tricks with the mind. I thought that the first four weeks would be the death of me. I was waiting to find out if The Feerm would make me an offer. Everyday of June was like an entire week. I was literally crossing days off a calendar, like an inmate making etchings for each day in his cell.

Things loosened up in July. I knew I got the job, so that part of me was settled. I went on a movie marathon, slept a whole lot, gained weight. It was fun, but by the end of July I was getting restless again. I wanted to start working. I remember by week 8 I was climbing the walls. I'd do silly chores to fill my day. (You will be happy to note that my shoe rack has been arranged by color, then re-arranged by frequency of use) Today though, with the big move only days away, all those weeks spent at home watching movies and napping seem like just one whole long lazy afternoon.

I want to look back at this break and remember it was restfull and stress-free. And to a large extent it really was. It was when I started going to the gym, a practice that eventually made me go back to my college weight. (God, I hope I can say this by year's end.) It was a time I spent with friends (a record 7-hour brunch at Pancake House, whimsical trips to Tagaytay) and just hanging out with the parental units.

This break will probably be the last one I will have in a long time. I think that if I tried harder, I would have been able to make a more efficient use of my time. I could have started drawing again, I could have read more books, maybe even taken a trip. But overall, I think I did pretty well for myself. I started this blog, I watched 50 movies, integrated exercise into my daily routine and have I mentioned that my shoe rack is the bomb?

No comments: