Friday, July 04, 2008

Some place else

When I travel, I am conscious of the texture of a new place, or if I've been there before, the texture of "some place else". I don't know if it's just me who thinks this way, but when I'm some place else, the texture of my reality is slightly altered. Everything is new or unfamiliar, people look different, money and food are different, the weather, even the air is different. That's what I mean by texture. It's like you step into a dream of some sort.

But when you've been to a place often enough or have spent long periods of time in a place, the once altered texture smoothens, and things become ordinary, familiar. You can identify the denomination of a local coin without flipping it over. You adjust to the temperature and air quality, and all of a sudden "some place else" becomes "here".

No comments: