Friday, July 25, 2008

The grand gesture

I believe in the grand gesture. When one person unequivocally expresses affection or kindness to another. And the gesture need not be expensive or even grand in the hotel or piano sense. It could be many small acts put together. It could be just one small act. All it needs to be is categorical.

I have been lucky enough to receive the GG a handful of times and each time I am on the receiving end of that type of kindness, I am always floored.

Like the time when R. and my mother organized my surprise debut. Or when my sister taught me high school Algebra in three weeks (complete with self-made exercises). Or when RL. took the 3-hour train from New Haven to Manhattan to come have a cup or coffee with me (then took the train back again). Or when W. took me to the carnival on my birthday when I hardly knew him. Or how for the last 20 years C and her mom have been giving my family fruitcake and other goodies for Christmas.

Ang galing. (A., this translates loosely to "Amazing".)

No comments: